Breaking News

Invicta FC’s Shannon Knapp looks forward to furthering pioneer streak | Trendsmedia.

Shannon Knapp

Invicta FC head Shannon Knapp continues to break down barriers, and has even loftier goals for 2020.

After another wild year of firsts and surprising experiments, Invicta FC remains the top destination for women in MMA looking to make a name for themselves. From hot prospects to proven veterans, it remains the destination for women to gain even more visibility and to ply their trade.

So after a year of new and interesting occurrences, Shannon Knapp remains dedicated to pushing forward and advancing the growth of both women in the sport as well as MMA overall. With years of experience under her belt in multiple organizations, she continues to add new ideas to evolve past just MMA. She gave us some thoughts, and she continues to hold high aspirations for the year ahead.


Victor Rodriguez: I wanna thank you so much again for joining us here for this and making some time out of your schedule. And um, you know, you had quite the 2019, you had new elements as far as your programming, the structure of certain events, which came with some challenges as well as acquiring new talent. How did that all that actually start for you? Did yout have all these changes already planned in 2018, more or less, how was the process behind that.

Shannon Knapp: I’m trying to remember. Um, it’s not that far long ago, but it seems like it when you’re looking back. Yeah, I think the Phoenix series I definitely started working on at the end of 2018. You know, this is a business that’s always changing, and if you’re not able to land on your feet when those changes come then you’ve got a lot of problems. I feel like last year was a good year for us, a very solid year. Introducing the new programming and different things that we did, I think certainly woke everybody up, that’s for sure. I see a lot of people doing the same format for tournaments now, so that’s always interesting. But yeah, most of all it was a good year, positive year, and I think growth and change are always good.

VR: Yeah, I’ve heard that from other people, I’m sure you’ve seen that as well when people talk about “if you want someone that knows how to adapt to things on the fly and make the best of it, then you point to Shannon Knapp.” And you’ve certainly done so, but...

SK: Well, that’s very kind! (Laughs)

VR: Well, we’ve seen situations where certain events, unfortunately, you’ll have a fighter or two miss weight. Maybe certain fights have to be reshuffled, things of that nature, and you’ve managed to make the most of it. I just wanna know, what’s your line of thinking as far as that goes? Like, how do you approach these problems as they come?

SK: I guess for me, I always approach things from a fair and equitable way. Everybody’s got a job to do. The athletes know what their job is we make sure they convey everything that they need and give them the tools that they need to be successful. Just as they have a job to do, I have a job to do and I’m responsible for ensuring that everybody has the opportunities that are sitting out there for them and keep moving the sport forward. When you have those things that come up I think it’s just each circumstance or each situation is different. And I always try to approach it like a separate affair no matter what it is.

Missing weight has been a problem, it’s one that I feel like we’re constantly addressing. Constantly. But everybody knows what our mindset is, they know what the organization’s rules are, the policies that are in place and we just stick to it. I have this philosophy too, that I will not do for one that I won’t do for everyone. You know, I think that keeps me out of trouble a lot! (Laughs) I think that there are times in organizations where certain athletes get certain things, others don’t, and there’s of course, some contention that runs through the company. Here at Invicta, of course, it’s not that elevated level, you know, (like) the UFC.

But here, everything stays fair. Across the board. I won’t do for one what I won’t do for somebody else. It’s generally like — I’ll give you an example: like, giving extra rooms or something like that. Because that either that makes it unfair what I do for one, but I have to do for everybody. And then I’m out of money, right? (Laughs)

VR: Well, yeah!

SK: So that’s, I’d say all things that keep things running smoothly, without issue would be that one. You know, that policy that I have. At least that keeps me out of trouble a lot.

VR: I just wanted to circle back to the Phoenix Rising series, which has been a welcome addition, something of a shot in the arm for your organization. One-night tournaments, and you did mention this, you were seeing this pop up a little more frequently. But to see this happening with women, with talents of a different caliber than what you’re seeing in other organizations elsewhere. I wonder what your main motivation was for that and how you were able to get that running?

SK: The motivation is to just keep doing new things, to keep innovating and coming up with new ideas and provide new opportunities. That’s kind of what the Phoenix Series is for me. I like tournaments. I always have, the one thing I don’t like is, I don’t like when it’s spread out for sooooo many weeks and months apart that you lose interest. And for me, as long as we can provide a safe environment for our athletes to compete which enhances the formula that we’ve come up with that then I was all in for one-night tournaments. That was pretty much the mindset. And the commission’s been amazing. The Kansas commission in working together and ensuring that each of these athletes are getting the care, that everything’s safe, and the environment to do this kind of tournament.

VR: Well, how difficult was it to set up? I mean, I see that, it’s good that the commission is so willing to lend a helping hand and be part of the structure as far as that goes. But as far as the logistics of getting the fighters on board and all that, how tough was that.

SK: (Slight pause) Easier than I ever imagined.

VR: (Laughter)

SK: Yeah, (laughs) I expected some pushback, you know? Like “you’re gonna have to sell this, you’re gonna have to pitch it, etc.” But no, I think the athletes, they were excited. It’s something different, it’s something unique. The first tournament out, it was, because it was for a title, every fight mattered. Every fight counted. I guess it would be the best way to say it, because every fight does matter. Regardless if it’s a pro fight or exhibition every fight matters. I think they were just excited, I think there’s something different that’s part of that. Each time, we’re still making history over here, for us. Each time we do something new, it’s the first time. So it’s part of the Invicta history and I think that a lot of athletes are excited to be part of those first time things. And then the concept’s, I think it really caught on. People are excited. Plus, it’s quick shows! You know, you’re fighting quick and we’re telling the backstories on it. It’s kind of, it’s different, and I think that keeps people interested.

VR: OK, well you have and are always bringing in new talent and plugging them into certain places. And we end up with pleasant surprises as to how they perform and how they go on later on. And scouting has been one of the strongest points of your organization up until now, what do you attribute that to?

SK: Hmm. (Laughs) Well, I dunno. I never really thought about it. You know, I’ve been a matchmaker for a long time. One the great things about being here at Invicta and the matchmaking here is the talent a lot of times comes to us. I work with a lot of different people in this area, this field, they’re keeping an eye on athletes coming up and they’re always bringing something to me. So yeah, it takes all of us to make this go and make this work and be successful. I think I’ve been pretty blessed to build relationships out there that the athletes want to fight here, and that the management and the trainers want their athletes to be here. Now, I feel that Invicta is a very important piece of the puzzle for the growth of women (in MMA), competing in the sport. I think that we kind of sit in the middle there and say “hey, this is the level that we try to protect and take care, and elevate the pay that goes out”. I’ve had a lot of promoters say to me “because of you, we have to pay more money for these athletes”. And that’s a good thing!

VR: Yes!

SK: It’s not a bad thing, it’s certainly a good thing across the board. So I think that that would be one of my more prouder moments in the sport. Being able to push them along in the sport, to elevate them and continue to grow.

VR: You’ve certainly done that and then some.

SK: Well, thank you.

VR: As far as 2019, now that that’s in the books, I’m gonna ask that you take a quick look back at what you were most proud of for this past year in terms of everything that you were able to accomplish.

SK: Well, OK. Right off the top of my head the thing that comes up is the Phoenix Series. That was something that I pitched to pretty much everybody, sometimes you end up losing. I think there were a lot of questions. “Can you have a world title, can we make it work?” You have to think of everything for every worst case scenario and with the structure, creating a show. An actual, instead of viewing it from the perspective of a live sporting event, to me, I was creating a show. Something that people, was tailored more to the people that were watching via Fight Pass. So that was one of my moments. And for it to be successful, that would be the best part. That we tried something, it worked, and we’ve created this whole new series. It was probably the highlight. I’m sure I’m missing something, but when you first asked the question that’s the very first thing that popped into my head.

VR: OK, that’s fine. Since we’re concluding with 2019, what are you’re goals looking forward for 2020? What’s the new mountaintop for you to reach?

SK: Haha! Oh, way more shows than we’ve done in the past. Launching the (Invicta) boxing, doing the boxing this year. I’ve kind of drug my feet on it a little bit because I didn’t feel we were ready. I definitely, definitely feel we’re in the position now to take that on. We will also launch this year a Jiu-Jitsu-style event, show. Let’s call it a show, for lack of a better, I always build shows, that’s why. So yeah, those are some of the things that I think are top priority this year, is that we launch the boxing, we do more shows, we launch our Jiu-Jitsu show.

VR: I do have to ask, because you already have a working arrangement with a Japanese organization (DEEP JEWELS) as far as talent sharing is concerned, are there any other organizations you’re looking to partner with, perhaps RIZIN?

SK: I gotta be honest with you — well I have partnered a lot with RIZIN, if you haven’t noticed.

VR: Well, yes. Perhaps I should have said “a little more extensively.”

SK: Yeah, because Kanako (Murata) came from RIZIN and we have Kanako here and several of my athletes have went there and competed recently, or in this past year. Yeah, but I think I work with everybody, honestly. I think if you look around you’ll see my athletes that fight on different cards and different promotions. I’m a firm believer in that if I can’t keep an athlete busy I’m certainly not tyring to make them just sit there. If I can’t keep them busy I will definitely work with them to find other options to take fights outside. I think open to it, think we have been, you know, Sarah Kaufman, PFL. She was still under contract and the champion. That’s something, definitely that at this point in time is certainly not off the table.


Invicta FC 39 takes place this upcoming February 7th, live from the Memorial Hall in Kansas City, KS. The event streams live on UFC Fight Pass starting at 8:00pm.


Credit to BloodyElbow

No comments